In an interview with BW Disrupt, Rahul Agarwal, Founder of Capri Loans, talks about the intersection of technology and problem solving
Capri Loans leverages state-of-the-art technology tools to become a leading FinTech company. The company’s digital transformation initiative aims to modernize the legacy system. Below are excerpts from an interview with Rahul Agarwal, who leads business transformation at Capri Loans:
What is your view on the Indian FinTech industry?
With nearly 34 million Indians connected between 2021 and 2022 and rapid technological advancements seen daily, the fintech industry and the nation are witnessing a surge of bright ideas and talent. These, combined with the government’s outlook and initiatives to drive the growth of the FinTech industry, have led to India having the highest fintech adoption rate in the world.
What is essential right now is revamping the education system to be more conducive to these developments and technologies, while continuing to retrain and upskill the current workforce. An employee who is not on the path of constant growth (*personally and professionally) will be left behind. This desire to constantly consume information and to develop must be inculcated right from educational establishments. The process of learning and “unlearning” has gone on for too long!
What are your main product offerings?
- MSME loan: through this, we offer personalized financial solutions to small business owners, enabling clients to seize opportunities and grow their business.
- Home loans: overcome the financial difficulties associated with the acquisition of your own home
- Gold loan: loans against gold pledged as collateral
- Wishwas: this product aims to build an egalitarian, poverty-eradicated and inclusive economy by providing loans to women in rural and semi-rural areas
- Construction Finance: Our construction finance is available for small to mid-sized property developers looking to gain the edge needed to complete their project.
- Prime Affordable Housing Loans: an affordable housing loan tailored to salaried employees working in government, public and private enterprises, meeting the growing demand for affordable housing in urban and rural areas
- ECLGS: an emergency line of credit guarantee program, which offers pre-approved unsecured loans to finance small and medium-sized business owners who are eligible for loans to support their business.
What technology is used in the retail gold lending industry?
We have integrated a new age loan system for gold loan. We have also built our own in-house DSA platform and lead management system to power our Gold Loan business.
What are your hiring plans in the technology sector?
Recruitment is in full swing! As we continue to improve our internal systems and capabilities, we are constantly looking for bright and talented people who can bring value and enable growth to the organization. While outsourcing may have its own benefits for some organizations, we prefer to rely on our in-house so operations and scale are in our hands.
What are the future projects of Capri Loans?
The plan is to keep going full throttle! We are currently hosting massive hiring camps across the country for our gold lending and retail businesses. We are launching a 100 person fully dedicated state of the art technical office in the most prime location of Gurgaon. We run a very comprehensive internship program to harness talent at a very early stage. On several levels, we have also developed policies for permanent work from home. We have developed policies for our employees to train them for any work-related certification or program they wish to pursue.
What is more essential than even is staying abreast of relevant technologies and methods to implement them due to the rate at which they are maturing. We are strategically and rapidly moving from a conventional NBFC to a cutting-edge FinTech in order to provide the best possible financial products and solutions to our clients.